Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones



This morning, I had a hankering for chocolate chip scones.  The only problem with chocolate chip scones (for me) is that they contain butter and cream, to which I am allergic.  I did have some dairy-free chocolate chips on hand (doesn't everyone?  I think they're a staple), so I thought I might be able to figure it out.  I read through a lot of recipes online.  Some of them contained eggs ~ which wouldn't have been a problem for me, since I do use them, except that I happen to be out of eggs at the moment due to Kaia's newfound love of hardboiled eggs ~ and all of them contained butter and cream.  

I decided to fall back on my favourite biscuit recipe (from the Joy of Cooking), with a few adjustments. I've used this recipe before, subbing Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread (or sticks) for the butter and almond milk for the milk, so I thought I could make it work.  Although scones aren't exactly biscuits, they are similar.  I added a little sugar and vanilla to achieve the flavour I was going for, and it seems to have worked out nicely.  I think, maybe, they are a touch lighter than the average scone.  In fact, scone purists will probably say they are not so much scones as they are biscuits with chocolate chips.  I'm okay with that.  In fact, I find them quite delicious.

The instructions are a bit tricky when it comes to the cutting, so, next time I make them, I will have a helper so we can photograph the process and come back here and edit in some photos for clarification.  I could also use a better pic of the final product, but at least it gives you and idea of what to expect.  Besides, it shows off my pretty saucer :) Hopefully, I managed to explain it all well enough for it to make sense.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips*
5-6 TBS cold margarine**
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

*Make sure your chocolate chips (and all other ingredients) are vegan, if want these to be truly vegan.
**I used Earth Balance, which is a great substitute for butter in baking. 

Preheat oven to 400℉.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.  

Cut in margarine with two knives or a pastry cutter.  I use my hands to mix the butter into the flour mixture.  You want to achieve a texture that is like coarse crumbs.  It is important not to allow the butter/flour mixture to form a paste.  

Add chocolate chips and toss lightly. 

Measure almond milk, then add the vanilla extract to the milk in your measure cup and stir to combine.  Add milk mixture to flour mixture in the bowl and combine with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon in a few gentle strokes, just enough to combine.

Generously flour your work surface.

Place dough on the floured surface, pat it lightly to make sure it hold together, and then gently turn it over.  (You can add more flour if necessary, but be careful.  You want a soft, tender dough ~ do not over work it or make it too dry).  At this point, both sides should have a light coating of flour.
Use you hands to form a rectangle with the dough that is about 3/4" thick.  For the purposes of my cutting instructions, make sure the long sides of the rectangle are the top and bottom, with the short sides on the sides).

Using a very sharp knife, cut your rectangle in half from top to bottom, then cut each half in half again, from top to bottom.  Now, cut the dough in half once from side to side.  You should have 8 small rectangles.  Make a diagonal cut from across each small rectangle to form two triangular shapes.  You now have 16 triangles.  

Place the triangles on ungreased cookie sheets.  

Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly golden brown.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool (but you'll probably want to eat at least one right away :)




No comments:

Post a Comment