Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cheap & Simple

Trying to keep dinner inexpensive, simple and healthy these days.  Seems to be a bit of a challenge lately to come up with things we can (and will) all eat.  I have a number of food allergies/sensitivities, the kids have a variety of food aversions, and, of course, we all have our individual preferences.  I manage, but it takes a little planning.

Tonight, I totally forgot to plan.  Just looked up and ~ oops!  It's 6:15!  Do you know where your dinner is? 

I really didn't feel like cooking, and, frankly, I didn't have a lot of time to work with before children started collapsing from hunger all around me.  Or so it sometimes seems.  Kaia told me recently that she is "now like a Hobbit."  It's true.  the kids eats all the time.  I decided to cook one thing I know we all like, and let everyone put together the rest of their meal from leftovers and staples around the house.

I hardboiled a bunch of eggs and threw together a quick quinoa/vegetable pilaf, then told the kids they could look in the fridge and put together any meal they wanted, as long as it included eggs.  Justice had deviled eggs, a bagel with cream cheese and green juice.  Hallie had egg salad and the quinoa.  Kaia had two hardboiled eggs (she eats only the yolks), a sausage patty, a bowl of mashed potatoes and a glass of green juice.  And I think she just said she is hungry again.  Holy cow!  I am not sure what I have left in the house that she will eat.  Wish me luck.  I think she has already eaten everything that isn't nailed down.

For myself, I made a nice big salad topped with quinoa, chopped eggs and avocado.  It was super yummy.  Ha! ~ I accidentally typed "supper yummy" the first time I tried that!  It was supper yummy, too :)

Anyway, mine was so delicious, I took a picture.  Unfortunately, I used my little camera phone, and the lighting wasn't great, but I am posting the picture, anyway, as I cannot take another, now that I have eaten the whole thing.  You get the idea.  Yummy, right?  (That's cayenne on top, because I like it spicy, but you could use paprika, if you prefer).  I think it's kind of the perfect meal.  Loaded with protein, healthy veggies, and nothing that will make me itchy, puffy or sick (always a plus in my book).


No comments:

Post a Comment