Monday, August 6, 2012

Risotto ~ Two Ways

Shane and I love watching cooking shows.  Most people probably wouldn't know this about Shane, but he really gets a kick out of them, despite the fact that he doesn't often cook.  Lately, we have been watching "Chopped," a show in which chefs compete for a prize and one is "chopped" after each course of the meal, until only the victor remains.  The other night, one of the chefs made risotto.  We decided it was high time I made some risotto, too.  So, tonight, I did.

When I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, I picked up a box of Arborio Rice (17.6 oz), so when I say to use half a box, I mean half a box that size.  I didn't measure, so...geez, I don't know what to tell you to do if you can't find a 17.6 oz. box.  Just do your best.  the great thing about risotto is that, at a certain point, you are just sort of cooking until the liquid is absorbed and it's done.  So, if you are using less rice, stop adding water sooner.  If you are using more, add more, I guess.  As you can see, this is all going to be very precise.  

I decided to make two different pans of risotto, because I know Shane and I would LOVE mushrooms in ours, and I was pretty sure the kids would prefer Spinach and cheese (which I can't eat, due to the cheese).  Rather than cooking a dinner only half of the family would eat, I made both.  Luckily, we are now left with enough for lunch tomorrow.  

Here's how I did it:

Portobello Mushroom Risotto

1-2 tsps. olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
2 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned and diced (about 1/2-3/4" pieces)
1/2 of a 17.6 oz. box of arborio rice
about 2 oz. red wine
about 3 1/2 cups heated water
1 tsp (or one cube) vegetable bouillon*
1/8 tsp. dried rosemary
1/8 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. oregano
salt & black pepper to taste

In a large skillet (make sure it has a lid that fits) heat the oil.  Add garlic and mushrooms.  Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring, for about three minutes.  Add rice and stir to combine.  Cook, stirring, until rice has started to look slightly translucent.  Add wine and cook until it has evaporated.  Add 1 cup of hot water + bouillon.  Stir to dissolve bouillon and bring to a gentle simmer.  When the liquid has been absorbed, add another cup of water and simmer again until absorbed.  Continue to do this until your rice is cooked.  This should take approximately 18-20 minutes.  I used about 3 1/2 cups of water, but you might need a little more or a little less.  Just check your rice every now and then to see if it's done.  It should be just ever so slightly soupy, and tender, but not squishy (it's going to sit for a couple of minutes, so don't make it too done here).  Taste, and adjust seasonings.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for about 2 minutes before serving.  

* Again, I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Base, but you can use your favourite.  Also, in my dreams, this recipe also contained peas.  Alas, some child ate all of my peas.  However, if I had any, I would have added them with the last cup or so of water ~ probably 1/2-1 cup of them.  In the end, we loved this exactly as it was, so I am not sure I will add the peas in the future, but I thought I would put that out there, just in case anyone wants to try it.  Actually, I was thinking it would be perfect with some vegetarian Italian sausage cooked up with peppers & onions (and maybe zucchini) thrown on top.  Might have to try that with the leftovers.

Spinach & Cheese Risotto

1-2 tsps. butter
1/2 of a 17.6 oz. box of arborio rice
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
5 large fresh basil leaves, cut in ribbons
8 oz. frozen chopped spinach
3 - 3 1/2 cups heated water
salt to taste
3 TBS cream (or milk, of you don't have cream)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large skillet (make sure it has a lid) melt butter over low heat.  Add garlic, basil and spinach.  Sprinkle in just a touch of salt.  Cook, stirring over med-low heat until spinach has thawed completely.  Add rice and stir to coat.  Cook, stirring, until rice has started to look translucent.  Add one cup of water and bring to a gentle simmer.   When the liquid has been absorbed, add another cup of water and simmer again until absorbed.  Continue to do this until your rice is cooked.  This should take approximately 18-20 minutes.  I used about 3 cups of water, but you might need a little more or a little less.  Just check your rice every now and then to se if it's done.  It should be just ever so slightly soupy, and tender, but not squishy (it's going to sit for a couple of minutes, so don't make it too done here).  Stir in cream and parmesan.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for about 2 minutes before serving.  

If you buy Trader Joe's Arborio Rice, you will find that it has instructions on the side.  I generally followed them (left out the wine in the Spinach & Cheese one, and used plain water instead of broth ~ you could add the wine and use broth.  It might be even better that way), adding the ingredients I chose.  I want to try other additions, as well.  I am thinking asparagus, peas and mint would be good, with a little white wine and maybe a light (chicken style) broth.  

We loved this, and we are so glad we had leftovers.   Hope you enjoy it, too. 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. We had a variation of this for dinner and it was delicious. We love rice and I'm looking forward to trying many meals with this in different forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. I'm hoping to give the peas/asparagus variation a shot this week, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete