Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pizza for a Rainy (or hectic) Day

Had a brainstorm today.  Kaia requested homemade pizza for dinner.  Bought the cheese (pre-shredded, because I'm lazy) and made the sauce.  Then, I made the dough for the crust, using a recipe from The Joy of Cooking.  I decided to sub 2 cups of whole wheat white flour for 2 of the cups of flour called for in the recipe, simply because I have had a bag of the stuff sitting around for a couple of weeks and haven't done a damned thing with it.

As the dough was rising, I realized that the recipe I used made enough dough for two regular sized (it says 12" but I think our pizza pans are slightly bigger and it fills two of them) pizzas.  Shane and I were having our favourite portobello mushroom sandwiches for dinner, so I really only needed enough to make one pizza.  That would be plenty for the kids.  I divided the dough in half, then divided one half into three portions ~ one for each girl ~ so the kids could make their own personal pizzas.

I formed the other half of the dough into a round crust to fit on my pizza pan, dusted the pan with cornmeal, put the crust on it and baked at 425℉ for 4-5 minutes ~ just until it started to look not raw, and slightly puffed.  I removed the pan from the oven, let the crust cool, topped it with sauce and cheese and put it in the freezer.  When it is frozen solid, I will wrap it tightly and, the next time we are having a crazy day and feel like just ordering a pizza, we can pull it out of the freezer and have our own, homemade, (part) whole grain crust, less expensive than carry-out or frozen grocery store pizza.  And I'll bet it will taste better, too.

Here's hoping it works the way I hope it will :)  I promise that, when the day comes that we pull out our frozen pizza and give it a whirl, I'll let you know how it bakes up.  I have a good feeling about it.  I mean, if you can buy frozen pizza at the store, it stands to reason that you can freeze pizza...right?


1 comment:

  1. BTW ~ I am sure tons of people have thought of this before. In fact, when I was a kid, my mom used to get pre-made pizza crusts from a company that supplied restaurants, make up a bunch of pizzas and put them in the freezer. I think I am just excited because I was just planning to make tonight's dinner, and I accidentally made dinner for a busy night in the future, too :)

    ReplyDelete