Friday, July 9, 2010

No, really, they are.

These peanut butter cookies are the simplest and best I have ever tried.

When I read that I am supposed to mix together peanut butter, sugar and an egg, bake it and expect it to turn into COOKIES, I was skeptical. I understand that is hardly a revelation. I am, after all, a skeptic by nature. But...I think it sounds a little nutty (if you'll pardon the pun). I mean...Yeah. Right. Where's the flour? Vanilla extract? Baking powder?? Salt??? These people are crazy.

Right?

Nope. Turns out, they are not. Here's the recipe:

1 cup peanut butter*
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar**
1 egg***

Mix all (yeah, all 3 of them) ingredients well. Form into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork (first press down lightly with the tines from top to bottom, then again from side to side, to create the signature criss-cross pattern). Bake at 350 (for crying out loud! ~ where is the freakin' "degrees" symbol??) for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes just under 2 dozen (for me, anyway).

You can try to eat them while they are warm, but they will sort of fall apart. That's it.

Yum.

Really.

I swear.

Go try it.

* I use organic, natural peanut butter when I bake. It contains only peanuts and salt. If you use peanut butter that contains sugar, you may want to cut the sugar in the recipe a bit.

** I thought that seemed like a lot of sugar, so I didn't pack it very firmly, and used a little less than a full cup. I think they could be slightly less sweet and still taste great, but Shane and the girls like them as they are.

***Is you are vegan, you can probably use an egg-replacer. Although I haven't tried one with this recipe yet, I have found that they generally work well in cookies.

Are you still sitting here? Go make some peanut butter cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment