Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Zucchini "Crab"-Stuffed Zucchini

Yes, I realize the title of this recipe is quite awkward.  You can come up with a better name, if you prefer.  No matter what you decide to call this, you should eat it.  Super yummy, and a nice presentation, too.

As you may have heard, my garden is completely out of control this year.  I don't know what I did (just my usual organic vegetable food), but I cannot keep my zucchini plants from prolifically producing the largest zucchini I have ever seen.  We have eaten several, traded others for other yummy things (oranges, lemons, and I hear there are some apples coming our way), made one into brownies (yes, brownies), canned 7 quarts of zucchini & tomatoes...and they still just keep coming.

At this time, after using 1 1/2 large zucchini for tonight's dinner, I still have 4 sitting around waiting to be used, and more growing in the garden.  Sometimes, if I listen carefully, I think I hear a faint, "Feed me, Seymour!" from the general direction of the garden.

Because we are eating TONS of zucchini, I am looking for new and interesting ways to prepare it.  I know we like zucchini "crab cakes" (just replace the crab in your favourite recipe with shredded zucchini ~ yum!), and I plan to make and freeze a bunch of those, but I had one giant zucchini just begging to be stuffed.  Usually, I would do an Italian-inspired stuffed zucchini, but, tonight, I wanted to try something different.

After zipping around on the internet, I decided to combine what I knew from making zucchini crab cakes, inspiration from Crab Imperial recipes I had perused, and my previous zucchini-stuffing experience.  Here's what I did:

1 very large zucchini, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out and discarded
Old Bay Seasoning
Smoked paprika

2 cups shredded zucchini, firmly packed
1/2 c. mayonnaise (or vegennaise) 
1 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp. Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/8 tsp. cayennne pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2-1 tsp. wet mustard
1/2 c. panko (or other breadcrumbs)
1-2 TBS melted margarine
2 eggs, beaten (or equivalent egg-replacer)

Heat oven to 400℉.  Grease a 9x13" pan with olive oil.  Place halved zucchini, cut side up, in prepared pan.  Sprinkle lightly with Old Bay Seasoning and smoked paprika.  

In a bowl, mix all other ingredients, except eggs.  Taste, and adjust seasonings.  Gently fold in eggs.  

Spoon mixture into prepared zucchini "shells," cover pan with foil and bake for about 30-40 minutes, until shell is looking kind of cooked, and filling is set.  Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more, or until lightly golden brown.

Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.  


And here's how beautifully it turned out: 


For the record, it tastes even better than it looks.  Oh, my goodness.  So, so good.  I could eat this all night!

Made some homemade mac & cheese on the side for the cheese-eaters, and some broccoli slaw for the slaw-eaters.  

Holy cow.  I am still wallowing in zucchini-eating bliss.

1 comment:

  1. BTW, this is the recipe I work from when making zucchini "crab cakes":

    2 1/2 c. zucchini, shredded
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tbsp. melted butter
    1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
    1 1/2 c. Italian bread crumbs
    1 sm. onion, chopped fine
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp. green pepper, chopped fine
    1 tbsp. mayonnaise (optional)
    More breadcrumbs, for dredging the patties before cooking.

    Mix all well. Shape into patties as for real crab cakes. (If mixture is too soft, add bread crumbs.)

    Dredge in bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil until golden brown or bake on high (500 degree oven) on an oiled cookie sheet. Drain on paper towels.

    I think I tend to add more Old Bay, and I often use panko instead of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. I also like to add chopped parsley, if I have it.

    ReplyDelete