Saturday, June 29, 2013

Zucchini "Crab" Cakes

Tonight, I made a triple batch of these (using one green zucchini and about 1/3 of a golden zucchini ~ yeah, they're that big).  We ended up with one dozen for tonight's dinner, and about 3 dozen to put in the freezer, for a future dinner.  For the record: I fried the ones we were eating tonight in hot oil in a cast iron skillet, but the ones I plan to freeze, I baked.  I figure, that way, once they are frozen, we can heat them in an oiled skillet when we are ready to serve, and they (hopefully) won't be completely drowning in oil.  I will give directions for both cooking methods.  I hear you can just bake instead of fry, to save on fat and calories, but, to be perfectly honest, I like my crab cakes fried.

Anyway, in case there is anyone reading who doesn't know this, I grew up in Maryland.  Maryland, in case you haven't heard, "is for crabs."  (A weird but true travel and tourism slogan I recall from my childhood.)  In short, we know crab cakes.  Now, I can't eat them.  I am allergic to shellfish (idoine, actually, I am now told), besides which, I am vegetarian, so I wouldn't eat them, anyway.  Crabs are not vegetables.  I know, because I have looked one in the eye.  Nevertheless, I do not want anyone reading this to let that fact make them think these "crab cakes" will be anything but delicious.  I am not the originator of this idea.

What readers may not know about Maryland, is that it was not only home to crabs, it was home to one of the best zucchini growers and cooks I have ever known.  I mean, this guy was famous for his zuchhini.  And if he wasn't, he should have been.  He was, I am very lucky to say, my godfather, my mom's twin, Jim Gambino.  I don't know how my zucchini crab cake recipe compares to Uncle Jim's, but I hope it's maybe half as good.  That would make it pretty awesome, I think.  I hear tell that people have been served zucchini "crab" cakes without knowing they contained no actual crab, and never been the wiser.  I do not know about that, but I know that, a few years ago, when I was home for a visit, I made some at a friend's crab feast, so the kids and I could have some "crab cakes," and they flew off the table.  No, they were not enchanted.  Harry Potter and his cohorts were nowhere nearby.  I just mean to say that people liked them.  People who were eating actual crab.  So, I think that's a good review.  I decided to post these today, in honour of Uncle Jim's (and my mom's) birthday.  Happy Birthday, Mom!  I hope you have a beautiful day.  And Happy Birthday, Uncle Jim.  We sure do miss you.  But...have you seen my zucchini?  They're HUGE!!!  I think you'd appreciate them.

Now, I posted a recipe from which I work in the comments in my previous post, but I decided they needed a post of their own.  I also decided I should probably try to post exactly what I do, instead of the recipe on which I based what I do.  So, here ya go:

2 1/2 c. grated zucchini (I do not peel it)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. melted butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (or to taste ~ I add a little more)
1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 1/2 c. fine dry bread crumbs, seasoned with oregano, thyme, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, salt & pepper (sorry, I wish I knew how much of these to tell you to use.  You can use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, if you prefer, but I cannot, unless I can find dairy-free ones)
1 sm. onion, chopped fine, or about 1 tsp. onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. sweet red pepper, chopped very fine
1 tbsp. mayonnaise 
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Mix all ingredients well.  If mixture seems too wet, add a few more breadcrumbs, but it should be a loose mixture (not too dense).  
Place more breadcrumbs on a plate, and season as above.  If desired, add a little nutritional yeast.  Again, if you prefer, use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs.  
With damp hands, gather lumps of dough into roughly golf-ball-sized...well...balls.  Sorta.  Like I said, it's a loose mixture.  Gently dredge each ball in the breadcrumbs, then fry* in hot oil for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Drain on paper towels.  Serve as you would crabcakes ~ with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.  You can make crabcake sandwiches with them (they're about the right size to fit on one of those little Hawaiian rolls, or a soft dinner roll).

Part of that seems unclear, so let me walk you through it:
1. Pick up a lump of the mixture and kinda form it into a ball.
2. Dredge the ball in breadcrumbs; flatten slightly.
3. Place on a plate or tray.
4. When you have all of your little patties formed, fry them in batches in hot oil.
5. Drain on a plate or tray lined with paper towels.
6. Eat.
* If you prefer to bake them (for whatever reason), form your cakes as above, then place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.  Bake in a very hot (500 degrees fahrenheit) oven for 5-7 minutes on each side (until lightly browned).

Now, unfortunately, we gobbled up the fried ones before I managed to take a picture.  I say, "unfortunately," not because I regret eating them, but because I think they look more appetizing than the baked ones.  I took a picture of the baked ones, so I will post that.  

1 comment:

  1. Weird footnote on this recipe: Shellfish. I am allergic to shellfish.

    ReplyDelete