Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Blackeyed Peas

Nationwide, many, many people observe the tradition of eating blackeyed peas and greens on New Year's Day.  This practice, rooted in the South is said to bring good luck in the coming year.  The peas, which are not peas at all, but, rather beans related to the cowpea, can be prepared in a variety of ways ~ from Hoppin' John and Texas caviar to more modern salads.  Often, they are served with greens and cornbread to round out the meal.  The peas are said to represent coins, the greens, bills, and the cornbread, gold.  Some people say that each bean consumed ensures one day of good luck in the new year.  According to that logic, to ensure good luck every single day, one should eat 365 blackeyed peas on New Year's Day.  Ha.  Well, I can't manage that, but I'll take all the luck I can get.  Besides which, I like blackeyed peas.  They're yummy.

I have to admit, they are especially yummy when cooked with bacon, and, try as I might, I have never managed to make them taste quite as delicious without all that fatty, flavourful meat.  Of course, I don't want to eat that, so I have just muddled through with my "eh...okay" blackeyed peas.  This year, however, I decided to step it up.  I really wanted to get it right, and, this year, I think I finally did.  Shane and the kids agree.  Since it turned out so well, I decided to jot down what I did, so I will remember how to do it again.  and, I figured, as long as I am writing it down, I might as well post it here.  So, here goes.

You will need:

1/2 lb dry blackeyed peas
water
1-2 TBS safflower oil
4 strips vegetarian bacon, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS dried parsley
salt, pepper & crushed red pepper to taste
1/2 TBS. red wine vinegar
2 cups greens*, cleaned & sliced into thin ribbons
Onions powder, or a couple of thinly sliced green onions
1 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken-style)

Rinse and sort 1/2 lb. dry blackeyed peas and place them in a medium sized pot.  Add cold water to about 2 inches above the top of the peas.  Bring to a boil.  Boil 2 minutes, then turn off and let stand for 1 hour.  Drain, return peas to pot and add cold water again to about 2-3 inches above peas.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour, or until tender, but not mushy.  Drain peas and set aside.

In the same pot in which you cooked your beans, heat oil (use the higher amount if you like the mouthfeel that you get with bacon, less if you want to watch your fat intake) over low-medium heat heat.  Add bacon and cook until it starts to crisp up.  Reduce heat to low.  Add garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the garlic is soft, but not browned.  Be careful to keep the heat low and stir constantly, to prevent browning, which will make the dish bitter.  Add red wine vinegar, and cook until the liquid evaporates.

Return peas to pot.  Top with greens, then sprinkle with onion powder or green onions.  Pour broth overall.  Cover and cook over low-medium heat until greens and peas are done and most liquid is gone.  Stir very gently, to avoid breaking up the peas.  Taste, and adjust seasonings.

That's it.  It was so good.  What I especially love about this dish is that it looks as good as it tastes.

* The greens I used were from our garden, a variety or early-harvest broccoli that claims to combine qualities of broccoli and turnip greens, as I recall.  I wish I could remember the name of the plant.  It has grown quite vigorously, but produces far more leaves that florets.  Good thing we can eat them all :)

1 comment: