Friday, January 20, 2012

No-Tuna Salad


I just whipped this up for lunch, and it was so satisfying, I decided to share. I have been making this, I guess, since I was a teenager. It was one of those things that made the transition to vegetarianism easy for me, because it was familiar. It hearkened back to childhood comfort foods, and, sometimes, that's just what I needed. The funny thing is, I don't remember ever being a huge fan of tuna salad as a kid, but sometimes I get a craving for this vegetarian knock-off. and it is so easy to make.

You will need:

1-1 1/2 cups cooked (and drained) chickpeas*
Old Bay Seasoning
1-2 TBS mayonaise (can use vegan mayonaise, if you wish)
1/4-1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2-1 whole rib celery, diced fine
approximately 1 tsp. sweet pickle relish, or several finely chopped sweet pickle slices
salt and pepper to taste

*canned chickpeas are fine, just rinse and drain them

Place chickpeas in a bowl with a good sprinkle of Old Bay Seasoning (if I had to make a stab, I would say maybe 1/8 tsp ~ just start with just a little, and add more later, if you like) and mash roughly with a fork. No, I don't mean you should beat up your beans and talk mean to them. Just don't mash them too much ~ leave a few lumps. Stir in mayonaise, mustard, celery and pickles. Taste and adjust seasonings. (Did you notice that I didn't mention the salt and pepper? You might not need them. Use them if you do, or leave them out, if you prefer.)

That's it. Really. It's that simple. I think this should just serve as a jumping-off place. If your mom always put onions and chopped eggs in her tuna salad, so that's what your used to, go ahead and throw them in (try a little mashed tofu instead of eggs, if you are trying to make a vegan version). If you've only ever used dijon mustard in tuna salad, have at it. Make it creamier (or less creamy) according to your preference. The keys are to make sure the chickpeas are well-drained and mash them and the Old Bay Seasoning together as a base for your salad. From that point, you can make it any way you prefer, really. I have heard some people say they add a sprinkle of dried kelp to give it a fishy flavour, but I like it just the way it is.

The picture here shows it on a tiny piece of toasted homemade rosemary wheat bread. It's not the best bread I have ever made, but it toasts up nicely and has a good flavour, so we are using it, anyway. I recommend trying this on buttered bread with a nice, crisp lettuce leaf...or, you know, however you might eat tuna salad, if you were eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment