Friday, September 17, 2010

The Afterschool Special

AKA ~ afterschool snack.

We're snackers. In fact, I tend to snack my way through my days, rather than sitting down and packing away a great big meal all at once. Maybe that's why I never post here. I'm too busy snacking.

Because I know this, I try to encourage healthy snacking habits. Every bite counts, so if I can pack a little nourishment into every morsel, all the better, right? I think so. When I use eggs, I make sure they are the ones that are especially high in Omega 3 fatty acids, for instance, and I like to add applesauce or pumpkin to the pancakes, so my finicky little non-fruit-and-vegetable-eating 7-year-old will accidentally get a little something that might be missing from her limited diet. I try to use wheat bread and brown rice, I add pureed carrots to my tomato sauce. You get the picture.

But then, we like to have fun, too. I mean, we can't be serious all the time. Sometimes, you want cookies, candy, muffins, cake...you know, treats. And sure, we have those things sometimes, but, when I can, I try to keep it as healthy as possible. It just makes sense to me. If I can give my family a delicious treat, but amp up the nutrition a bit, why not?

So, on this, the third day of the new school year, I will devote an entry to after-school snacking.

I have always felt that, when the kids get home, they should get a little time to unwind before they tackle the books again. I like to give them about an hour to decompress, relax, play, run off steam, and have a little snack to fuel them through the rigors of homework that await. I generally keep around the house an assortment of healthy snacks: nuts, dried and fresh fruits, veggies, hummus, whole wheat pita, cheeses, yogurt (dairy and soy), whole grain crackers, olives, graham crackers... We're not really a Goldfish crackers and juice box kind of family, but we do have those sometimes, too.

I had been wanting to do a little something special for back-to-school, but Justice's scheduling problems ate up Monday afternoon, and jury duty killed Tuesday for me, so, here I was on Wednesday, finally, with time to make something a little more involved than, say, yogurt and fruit.

I settled on this:

Agave Spice Cake

Ingredients

* ¾ cup agave nectar
* 1 cup applesauce
* 3 eggs
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* ½ teaspoon ground clove
* ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 scant cup whole wheat flour
* ½ teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* ½ tsp salt
* 1 cup strong brewed decaffeinated coffee
Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the first 4 ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and baking soda.
3. Add the flour mixture to the wet stuff, alternating, with the coffee. Beat well.
4. Put into one greased 9"x13" pan.
5. Bake at 325F--60-90 minutes.

The kids love this. It is quick and easy to mix up, and mine has never taken longer than 60 minutes in my oven. I wish I could remember where I found the recipe, but I have made several modifications since then. The flavour is similar to gingerbread, and the texture is firm, but moist. It is not too sweet, and agave nectar, as I recall, has a low glycemic index. Sometimes, I substitute pumpkin puree for the applesauce, and substitute pumpkin pie spice for the other spices. That is divine, too.

Children were thrilled to find this waiting when they got home from school, and they will be getting slices in their lunchboxes for the next few days, too. Give it a try ~ it's especially nice enjoyed with a glass of milk (or milk-like beverage of your choice), while listening to your Schoolhouse Rock CD :)

No comments:

Post a Comment