Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Readers

Alas, I have none.

I have been thinking that, perhaps, my husband should read this. He is convinced he cannot cook at all, but, on Sunday morning, I talked him through scrambled eggs with spinach, basil and cheese (soy on mine and Swiss on his). I stuffed mine into a whole grain English muffin, and it was just right. Bear in mind, this is the man who once asked me if I wanted corn or artichokes for dinner. He didn't mean as a side dish ~ he really just planned to prepare one of the two. We decided to have both. I will say, however, that he is the one to whom I defer when artichokes need to be steamed, or corn on the cob is on the menu. He does a better job than I with both. He can scramble an egg, boil pasta, cook rice, steam broccoli...He's really much better off than he thinks. I think he just doesn't think to season things and mix them up as much as I do.

It occurred to me that, since I kind of talk my way through the prep steps here, it might be helpful to someone like him. Maybe it drives other cooks crazy, but I like to leave things sort of open-ended, to offer options and encourage experimentation. You know, variety is the spice of life, they say.

Well, time to plan tonight's dinner. I am thinking a simple pasta with tomato sauce. I have packaged dry pasta, and sauce in the freezer, but maybe I will come back later and post recipes for homemade pasta and sauce. hmmm...where are those recipes? Probably we'll need a vegetable of some sort. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you posted this. I keep saying that I will make pasta ...'someday'. My thing is, my kitchen is small. No, I mean, SMALL. "Two People is crowded" small. Too small to use a pasta machine. I know, I don't need one, but WANT one. I can cut the noodles with a knife... like your mom does. You know, I COULD do that... I can do that. I'll let you know how they turn out! ♥

    ReplyDelete